It is the primary responsibility of the Product Manager, Single-Use Drug Substance (DS) Technology, to act as a strategic product champion and Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the Company’s existing and developing product portfolio of micro and ultra-filtration solutions, single-use systems, end-to-end (E2E) process solutions, and accessories for critical processes in bioprocess DS concentration and Freeze/Thaw (F/T). Reporting directly to the Chief Science Officer (CSO), the Product Manager, Single-Use DS Technology, will develop product applications, testing methods and qualification data, establish and manage customer beta sites, develop qualification/validation guides, and materials to facilitate product education to internal, external, and industry customers, and generate market feedback to guide and support strategic New Product Development (NPD), sales, and target market objectives and business opportunities. The Product Manager, Single-Use DS Technology is a global position based out of the corporate office in Camarillo, California.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include, but are not limited to the following:
- Plan, develop, and provide technical and applications content, qualification/validation guides, and presentations, including those for promotional and educational purposes regarding single-use F/T products, systems and E2E solutions used to facilitate company initiatives, and Marketing plans and programs:
- Provide technical content for sales & marketing collateral.
- Develop testing methods and programs, and provide industry leading product qualification/validation guides.
- Make presentations and conduct training seminars using excellent verbal and written communications, demonstrating superior applications and product knowledge to individuals and large group audiences.
- Provide market feedback on products and applications.
- Provide competitive intel and product benchmarking data
- Manage customer beta sites and provide feedback to Product Engineering and R&D.
- Manage Product Life Cycles (PLC) and suggest product improvements and efficiencies.
- Support sales and team selling efforts as the resident SME to prospective and existing customers alike to aid in positioning products toward successful implementation commensurate customer needs and requirements:
- Handle technical inquiries from prospects, clients, and sales staff, promptly and professionally with high attention to detail.
- Introduce, demonstrate, and promote all current and new filter and single-use system products and process solutions.
- Support team-selling activities as necessary in North America, Europe and other global locations.
- Visit industry leading client locations as SME to aid in successful product implementation and qualification
- Garner industry and customer specific process and product application insights.
- Facilitate training and coaching of sales representatives in cooperation with the corporate office and sales staff.
- Devise and execute new product education programs:
- Develop and deliver new product education programs based on industry insights and novel technologies
- Aid in establishing Company as a technology and innovation leader
- Participate as a SME in industry associations, seminars, conferences, and meetings as appropriate.
- Guide the NPD effort for the filter and single-use system product portfolios in concert with the engineering, operations, sales, and marketing staff:
- Define the product strategy and roadmap based on current and anticipated market requirements and emergence of new technologies.
- Analyze business opportunities and develop business cases.
- Develop the core market positioning, including pricing and messaging for products.
- Champion NPD efforts.
- Develop product launch packages, sales & marketing collateral, and sales & training tools.
- Provide market and customer intelligence and insights, e.g., monitor current and future market demand and trends, market channel trends, new products, new technologies, sales campaigns, competitive analysis, and market positioning.
- Assist the sales staff to develop company sales policies and procedures and achieve or exceed annual sales promotion targets and key goals for the filter and single-use system product portfolios.
- Other duties as may be assigned as necessary.
TIME AND TRAVEL MANAGEMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Perform necessary travel in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and South America as directed, following company travel policies and using the most efficient method of travel for time and appointments.
- Perform necessary overnight travel as required, approximately 10-20% of the time, including some weekends.
- Comply with all corporate travel and expense policies and guidelines. Be mindful of time and resource management. For example, schedule and complete appointments in territory clusters.
- Establish and/or maintain an organized computerized database of product, project and customer files, profiles, and activities.
- Submit requested management reports on time.
- Maintain and review records and reports of calls on customers and results obtained.
- Prepare and submit weekly activity reports.
- Provide regular reports concerning product marketing and sales support activities.
- Prepare and submit an annual expense budget and weekly expense reports.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be team-oriented, a self-starter, technology focused, highly organized, well presented, possess excellent time management and prioritization skills, be disciplined and highly ethical. Must be self-confident, enthusiastic, and have a desire to excel.
- Must represent and model a positive Company philosophy and image, presenting professionalism, at all times.
- Must be able to utilize pharmaceutical single-use process development and manufacturing techniques and professional management skills including problem solving, project management, and communications skills.
- Must have ability to work together with other departments and individuals in the internal organization and develop positive and supportive relationships with colleagues, internal staff, and management.
- Must effectively interact with various levels in a customer organization including R&D, process development, materials science and technology (MSAT), manufacturing, engineering, quality, and procurement personnel in a consultative manner as a SME
- Must have the ability to analyze complex process applications situations, overcome challenges, and deliver tangible product solutions and results.
- Must be able to formulate NPD plans and implement technology programs.
- Must have driven personality, strong technical and business acumen, and exceptional leadership skills; guide with passion; be self-confident and enthusiastic with a strong desire to excel individually and as a team.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 4-year degree in Engineering or Science preferred
- Two or more years’ experience in pharmaceutical process development as a technically proficient professional using filtration, single-use systems and/or bioprocessing equipment, in the biopharmaceutical industry or CMO’s is required
- Proven performance and a strong track record in project management, meeting and exceeding company goals is a must.
LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS
- Excellent follow-up skills with customers, internal staff, and management.
- Ability to work collaboratively:
- Able to express ideas clearly and be open to working with others’ ideas and opinions.
- Excellent listening skills with the ability to value other opinions.
- Accept rejection and constructive criticism with professionalism and open mindedness.
- Must be effective in multicultural environments, bridging cultural and language barriers to ensure excellence in knowledge sharing.
Ability to use basic computer skills is essential including the use of Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and CRM programs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
Each employee of the Company is an at‑will employee, unless specifically notified otherwise in writing. This means that the terms and conditions of employment may be changed with or without cause. It also means an employee may terminate their employment at any time, for any reason, and the Company has the same right to terminate an employees’ employment at any time for any reason.